[OSM-talk] Suggestion for an Unconference

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Sat Nov 27 03:26:01 GMT 2010

So, how does this new Australian rural numbering scheme handle the case of the road being extended from its original starting point?  Will every address along that road have a new address assigned to it, will the new stretch of road have negative numbers as addresses, or will the road be renamed, so that Smith Road will become Smith Road West and Smith Road East, with the name changing at the former origin point?  Nashville, Tennessee, USA, where I live, has a version of the latter scheme for some street names.  Around 1900, a lot of streets crossing West End Avenue were renamed to 1st Ave North (north of West End Avenue), 1st Avenue South (south of West End Avenue), etc.  The house numbers are based upon the distance from West End Avenue.  Unfortunately, no such orderly system was used for street names, or house numbers, anywhere else in the city.  There are even a few named, rather than numbered, streets interspersed among the numbered streets, since the city planners back in 1900 apparently decided that streets only one or two blocks long wouldn't have their names changed.