[OSM-talk] API down?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Mon Nov 29 19:01:55 GMT 2010

On 29/11/10 18:13, Nathan Edgars II wrote:

> When you select a single element and hit ctrl-alt-D it downloads any
> ways and relations that contain said element. I don't know if there's
> a special API query or if it simply downloads a small area containing
> the node (or a node in the way) and extracts the referrers from there,
> but I think it's the former because when you do it on a node it seems
> to first get the way IDs and then get the nodes of each.
>
> Anyway it want back to normal about 10 minutes after I posted this
> message, but it happens relatively frequently. I believe there's also
> slowness in downloading relation members (the opposite of getting
> referrers). It's almost as though I'm being rate-limited, but
> downloading referrers should use significantly less bandwidth than
> downloading whole areas.

It's the opposite of being rate-limited actually.

The only call which is rate limited at the moment is the map call which
means that it is now quite hard for one person to soak up all the
resources and delay other people's map requests.

Other calls are not rate limited so if somebody suddenly hits us with a
big burst of requests it can cause delays for other people - it doesn't
actually have to be the same type of request, just something else that
is handled in the same queue.

The plan is to move more calls into cgimap, which means that they will
be rate limited. It also means they will be more efficient so that
delays will be less likely.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)