[OSM-talk] routing across open spaces

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 15:50:40 GMT 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 2:22 AM, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com>wrote:

> hi,
> i walk a lot, and would like a routing engine which understands i can
> take a direct route across an open public space, such as a park,
> without needing a footpath to be explicitly drawn in. the existing
> routing engines don't seem to understand this.
>
> or am i missing a tag? do i need to tag parks, etc. with "area=yes"
> "foot=yes", "access=yes" or would that be a case of "tagging for the
> routing engine"

Firstly note that routing across areas is (theoretically) much harder than
routing along ways (Non-polynomial time VS polynomial time).

Secondly note that the problem is not restricted to pedestrian routing, e.g.
parking areas. There have been cases where people mapped the road surface as
areas, although they would then also have ways running down the centerline.

Supporting areas is on my list of things that I would like to do, but there
are many other things in front of it. I recently added dragable routes to
the Osm.org Routing Demo. I improved the endpoints. Negotiated for a better
server. Routing instructions and translations. And for Christmas I want a
mobile application for large scale collection of house numbers.