[OSM-talk] Communication Group Minutes

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:11:38 GMT 2010

On 30 November 2010 06:55, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> I have just read the newest OSMF Communication Working Group Minutes.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=11qaYQt-7rjQsRmVxJ1DSKLgWl4-XZrIyJcIXeeIEvd4
> which is shortened as
> http://bit.ly/exKvJM
>
> I didn't actually get any information whatsoever from these minutes.
> Have they been especially sanitised for public distribution or is this
> really what those people didn't actually discuss in a meeting situation?

Hello,

<irony>of course they have been sanitized: we don't want our marching orders
to be known (given to us by Mapquest, Bing, Cloudmade, Geofabrik and every
other companies working with OSM evidently). We don't want to leave
compromising evidences.</irony>

More seriously, the minutes are light because not all meetings are packed
with exciting and new things coming. And the more exciting part is that we
have nothing to hide and you could actually join the team if you are
interested. We started with a small number of people who have been doing
communication for OSM (Harry Wood is a volunteer based in London who has
been organizing many of the local meetings, Richard Weait since he is very
active on OpenGeodata site, Oliver Kuhn for writing his blog and being
chair, and me for being co chair, and spending an awful lot of time getting
involved in the French community). We then expended to Hurricane that has
been doing some communication in the past, and finally we just invited
someone from the US local chapter who is interested in communication.

The communication working group scope so far has voluntarily been relatively
light initially since previous attempts lead nowhere. We have been working
in making sure that the foundation blog is alive and providing information
about what is happening inside the foundation. Comments about lack of
transparence are here, and those are the initial attempts at publicizing
what is happening. You can see the latest post here:
http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2010/11/28/working-group-summary-3/

The following work that we are doing is working on translating the blog in
different language to make sure that we reach different communities in the
world. The second project is revamping the foundation website to make sure
that it is functional and readable, with proper text on what is the
foundation and so on based on the current articles that were written by 80n.

The main goal is to get something sustainable and then start doing a bit of
outreach in the future but we are not there yet. The potential scope of the
CWG will expand eventually when we have done the initial goal which is to
give an insight of what is going on and how the different working group can
be contacted and/or joined.

Also I would like to remind people we are all volunteers in the end and it
would be nice to have more volunteers to be involved.

Emily Laffray