[OSM-talk] Are there any other projects in a similar fork situation? (Slightly OT)

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 10:46:00 BST 2010

On Oct 2, 2010, at 5:03 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 10/02/2010 02:45 AM, Dave F. wrote:
>> With the various forks that could/are taking place within OSM I'm
>> curious if there are any other examples?
>
> Wikipedia has a catalogue of forks, unfortunately mixed with mirrors:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mirrors_and_forks
>
> (I particularly like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mirrors_and_forks/Mno#The_Mcfly
> _Network.)
>
> There *must* have been some forking action when Wikipedia changed
> their license from GFDL to CC-BY-SA I'm sure but I cannot find
> documentation on that.

No fork that I know of due to license change, at least nothing serious
that I heard about.

In 2002, the Spanish Wikipedia forked and people went to the other
project. The fork had to do with differences of project policies not
license, the fork died few years later.  Spanish Wikipedia grew more
slowly as a result

There's also citizendium, not really a fork at all but different and
unsuccessful way of having articles reviewed and vetted.

There is some debate about licenses among some of our more prolific
and talented photographers. The GFDL license gives photographers more
opportunity to make some $$ from their works as some book publishers
rather not adhere to GFDL and don't mind paying for use of a good
photograph found on Wikipedia.

Katie