[OSM-talk] Are there any other projects in a similar fork situation? (Slightly OT)

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat Oct 2 14:34:36 BST 2010

  On 02/10/2010 10:03, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/02/2010 02:45 AM, Dave F. wrote:
>> With the various forks that could/are taking place within OSM I'm
>> curious if there are any other examples?
>
> Wikipedia has a catalogue of forks, unfortunately mixed with mirrors:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mirrors_and_forks
>
> (I particularly like
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Mirrors_and_forks/Mno#The_Mcfly_Network.)

Hi

How many of these are actual forks?

Apart from getting a 404 for your example, it lists it as a copy rather
than a fork.

Some (Wikimapia/wikia) are just "inspired" by Wikipedia & appears to use
wiki just to jump on the trendy bandwagon.

Citizendium appears to be a competitor but didn't use Wikipedia's database.

Are there any true forks that split due to principles that used the
whole, same database?

Cheers
Dave f.