[OSM-talk] Are there any other projects in a similar fork situation? (Slightly OT)

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 14:46:08 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

>  Hi
>
> With the various forks that could/are taking place within OSM I'm curious
> if there are any other examples?
>
> I think it's wrong to think of these projects as forks in the same way as
traditional software project forks.  Certainly fosm.org holds the same
values as OSM[1] and is looking hard at how to keep it's content as
compatable and interoperable with OSM as possible[2].

I know there will be people who will want to contribute, at times, to both
FOSM and OSM.  If we can build the right tools we hope they'll be able to
update both sites simultaneously.

We've also considered deeply how to make sure that the content is
interoperable[3], so that for those people who can use both CC-BY-SA
licensed data and ODbL licensed data, they can more easily mix and merge
data from separate OSMish sources.

I think it's much more enlightened to think of these projects as members of
the same family that fulfil different needs.  In this context FOSM meets the
needs of those people who do not subscribe to ODbL and it provides a place
for imports that are not ODbL compatible.

80n

[1] Apart from the license obviously.
[2] More discussion here:
http://groups.google.com/group/osm-fork/browse_thread/thread/1deaa830385c6fdf#
[3] For example, by discouraging the divergence of tagging schemes.