[OSM-talk] Are there any other projects in a similar fork situation? (Slightly OT)

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 18:59:34 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
>
>> From what I understand, it appears that OSM is cutting ties with many of
>> these due to the wording of the new license/CT.
>
> That's totally wrong. We're seeing greater commercial support than
> ever before,

Really ? Can you name a single commercial company who said that they
are going to do something more with the data after the license change
? SteveC hinted at it a few times, without giving any details.

>  and we're seeing (for example) the French government
> adopt the OBbL.

Well the US government has consistently stuck to PD for many decades.
And they have released a LOT more data. (TIGER, SRTM, GPS, Landsat
etc).