[OSM-talk] Introducing Taginfo

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Tue Oct 5 20:10:25 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 11:53:30AM -0700, Sam Vekemans wrote:
> Are you getting a live feed from the wiki (for the tag descriptions)?
> or do you manually copy it in to your database?

No manual work involved. That would be way too much work. I wrote a program
that finds and parses all relevant wiki pages and extracts the information
from them. Its not a live feed, but it can be run, for instance, each night.

> my spreadsheet has fields for links to sample pictures and sample
> renderings which could be possable to run a macro to get the latest
> update from it?

You could use the Taginfo downloads or the API to access the information that I
have gathered and put it into your spreadsheet. I haven't documented the API or
database format yet, but once thats done, it should be easy to access the data
I have and do something with it.

Jochen