[OSM-talk] Multiple OSM instances

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Wed Oct 6 07:38:58 BST 2010

Am 05.10.2010 17:37, schrieb 80n:
> How would a user know which platforms they are able to send
> contributions to?   Is there some kind of contribution hierarchy with PD
> at the top and proprietary at the bottom?  Should there be a registry
> somewhere?

Where is the average contributor to OSM is coming from? Some will have
heard that name somewhere on the net, in a Podcast on TV or in a Newspaper.

I think a fork will have to go the same way: establish itself, geting
their name into the media, getting the people talk about them. I don't
see OSM in the responsibility to list forks prominently on osm.org. A
fork should fight for attention just as osm did in the past, not just
because it would be fair but also to prove that there is actually a
benefit that makes the form more useful to contributors and end-users in
comparison to osm.

Peter