[OSM-talk] Introducing Taginfo

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Wed Oct 6 10:05:10 BST 2010

On 5 October 2010 15:37, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:
> For the last months I have been working on a software called Taginfo that
> brings together information about OSM tags from the OSM database, the wiki
> and other places. Somewhat like Tagwatch, Tagstat, and OSMdoc, but more
> ambitious. :-)
>
> I am happy to announce that the beast is now available at
>
>    http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de
>
> There are still some bugs and lots of missing features, but its already
> usable. Updates are currently done manually, but I will do automatic daily
> updates soon.
>
> All the software to run this is Open Source so please go ahead, run your
> own versions and send me patches.
>
> More details and background in my blog entry at:
>
>    http://blog.jochentopf.com/2010-10-05-introducing-taginfo.html
>
> Bug reports and feature ideas welcome.

It seems to be a great tool but the ability to search within tag
values would be nice. For example I wanted to find how I should tag a
supermarket so I type 'supermarket' into the search box. As you can
see [1] the only match it finds is for the _key_ 'supermarket' which
is an extremely uncommon tag with only three uses [2]. Now, since I
know that really the tag to use is shop=supermarket I searched for
shop [3] and as it turns out, supermarket is the most common value for
the shop tag [4].

An awesome tool though, good work!

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de/search?search=supermarket
[2] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.de/keys/supermarket