[OSM-talk] Anonymous edits on OpenStreetMap through Tor

Brendan Morley morb.gis at beagle.com.au
Wed Oct 6 23:19:51 BST 2010

On 7/10/2010 7:57 AM, Emilie Laffray wrote:
> On 6 October 2010 22:46, Niklas Cholmkvist <towardsoss at gmail.com
> <mailto:towardsoss at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     is anyone contributing to OpenStreetMap by using Tor? (the onion
>     router)
>     Is there any opinion from anyone about this? Tor is used to strengthen
>     ones privacy by the technology trying to prevent revealing the ip
>     address of the user.
>

> Since the project doesn't log IP Addresses as far as I can tell, there
> is no privacy gain by using TOR.

It will be good to check for sure.  Certainly in my CommonMap project
it's a different story, I'm using Apache httpd as the web server.  Out
of the box httpd logs IP addresses in the access_log.  I think OSM is
also using Apache httpd now as well.  It's likely that the sysadmins
would almost never use the logging results, but it could still be a
problem if, say, the hardware got seized for investigation.

Brendan