[OSM-talk] Anonymous edits on OpenStreetMap through Tor

Elena ``of Valhalla'' elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 17:20:08 BST 2010

On 2010-10-07 at 10:04:06 -0500, Toby Murray wrote:
> I guess I'm not sure what benefit tor has to potential mappers. At the
> end of the day you still have to log in to OSM with an OSM user name
> which is associated with an email address. I guess you could go to the
> trouble of setting up an email address and an OSM user that you ONLY
> access from tor... Are there any countries where mappers are a
> persecuted class?

There are a few countries where some of the activities involved
in OSM are illegal, such as owing a GPS device, collecting
geographical informations or publishing unapproved maps.

Using TOR and a dedicated email address would be useful for mappers
in such countries.

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org