[OSM-talk] Proposal: winter roads

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at glebius.int.ru
Fri Oct 8 17:32:50 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 03:38:16PM +0000, ??var Arnfj??r?? Bjarmason wrote:
?> There have been discussions on and off about seasonal roads / opening
?> times. See e.g.:
?>
?>     http://www.mail-archive.com/talk@openstreetmap.org/msg11274.html
?>
?> There are more like that, but I couldn't find any with a quick search.
?>
?> Anyway, since it's an official Winter road I recommend just tagging it
?> as:
?>
?>     XYZ:winter_road = yes
?>
?> Wher XYZ is the acronym or name of the Russian classification
?> agency.
?>
?> But we probably want some sort of genaral scheme in the long term,
?> e.g. in some countries there aren't "winter roads" but rather just
?> roads with different degrees of guaranteed maintenance. Some roads
?> might e.g. be plowed once a day in the winter, and others once a week.

Well, winter_road would be fine, it will do its thing - mark winter
roads.

However, surface tag is preferred. First, we already have standartized
tag surface=ice_road, who is the closest brother of winter_road. Second,
this tag really describes the surface. The surface of winter road is
tamped snow always, when this road can be treated as road :)

P.S. I'd appreciate comments from mappers from Canada and Alaska.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.