[OSM-talk] Blue sky API: Branching function

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 08:51:23 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Brendan Morley <morb.gis at beagle.com.au> wrote:
> 1. Several importable datasets can cover a particular region - e.g. a
> national dataset at low level of detail and a provincial dataset at a high
> level of detail.  Both are compatible with the licence of the day (CC BY or
> CC BY-SA, etc).  And we want to convert and present them to our userbase in
> the form they've come to know and love.

Can't this use case be handled with a tag on the objects themselves?

highway=motorway
display_only=dodgeville_provincial_import_2010-10-15

Would require support from all renderers etc though.

> 2. For "what-if" scenarios.  For example, to illustrate a proposal for a new
> motorway or something.  I suppose this could be extended to complete fantasy
> scenarios (though if this were the case I would discourage hosting them on
> the main OSM website).

This one probably would require the sort of functionality you're
talking about. Because not only would you have objects that should
show/not show, they'd attach to existing objects...and possibly
existing nodes would be moved around in the forked changeset.

Personally this whole idea hurts my head to think about, but maybe it
has use. I struggle to see past possibilities for mass confusion
though...

You also haven't mentioned the obvious use for different licences etc.

Steve