[OSM-talk] Good in car GPS for OSM

Donald Campbell II donaciano2000 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 14:33:10 BST 2010

I was thinking about approaching a local taxi cab company and showing the
benefits of OSM for his drivers.  It would probably work best if I had a
particular GPS unit I could endorse and know would work well with it.

Ideally it would:
Record traces of where the drivers go.
Allow drivers to add street names or POI.
Route directions.
Easily get that info off the device once a week or so where it could be
added to OSM and replace the basemap.

I could mention the following benefits:
Conserving gas since drivers would get lost less often (happens pretty
frequently here)
Impress customers with modern tech and improvements
Free marketing as the company would be contributing to OSM "for the
community"
Being able to see where drivers are during the day and verify them not
taking side trips

Any suggestions or known GPS models that would work well for this?

Thanks,
-Don.