[OSM-talk] Ongoing bulk uploads of GPS traces?

Sam Wilson sam at archives.org.au
Thu Oct 14 03:03:25 BST 2010

  On 2010-10-13 5:12 PM, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
> You'd be releasing the data under CC-BY-SA and ODbL. If you are acting
> on behalf of the copyright owner, then you don't need to add any
> further documentation -- simply uploading the data is enough to show
> you agree to the licences.
Great!  I might just get a letter from management as well, stating that
they're permitting me to do this; never know what might happen in the
future.
> A separate account for the traces may well be a good idea. As for
> aggregating the traces, I don't see any benefit to OSM of doing that,
> especially if it involves you doing more work. If it's the effort of
> uploading multiple traces that worries you, there's an Alpha-quality
> Java utility that I'm happy to help you to use:
> http://www.chainring.co.uk/Tracey.jar
I've been looking into the format that the traces will come in, and it
looks like a weekly NMEA dump is going to be the least work for me -- a
single file, with all vehicles, that I can gpsbabel into GPX and
upload.  But I'm open to suggestions on that....

- Sam.