[OSM-talk] Response to A critique of OpenStreetMap

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Thu Oct 14 19:03:13 BST 2010

> For 1 - seriously, you do. In the UK we don't have some roads tagged
> "A3400"
> and others tagged "A-3400" and others tagged "CNSE" (Chipping Norton
> Stratford Expressway, _obviously_): they're all tagged a la "A3400". Our
> roads are coherently classified according to the UK highway system, even
> though it might seem counterintuitive (we tag non-primary A roads as
> "highway=primary" - well, so what). As a result our map looks lovely. If
> you
> get your shit together than your map will look lovely too.

  First we even have to agree on how it *should* be in the US.  There were
some arguments on one of the lists, but like everything else, I don't think
it's settled.   Now that we have relations, etc, the single agreed-on style
can be applied later with a bot after we decide how they should be ref'd or
named in the relation.