[OSM-talk] Response to A critique of OpenStreetMap

Ed Avis eda at waniasset.com
Thu Oct 14 19:36:48 BST 2010

Richard Fairhurst <richard <at> systemed.net> writes:

>But over here
>we're used to the Ordnance Survey and its subtle use of colouring, and so
>OSM looks just right and Google et al look spartan.

That's surely a lot of the reason why OSM looks strange from an American point
of view, but he does have a couple of valid points - the map does look a bit
'washed out' at low zoom levels, with many similar shades of almost-grey (which
may be tasteful for a printed map, but less good on a computer screen), and
again at low zoom levels the country and city labels look very similar.

--
Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com>