[OSM-talk] Response to A critique of OpenStreetMap

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 14 20:41:03 BST 2010

Am 14.10.2010 14:07, schrieb Milo van der Linden:
> Dear 41latitude,
>
> I came accross your blog on "critique of OpenStreetMap".
> http://www.41latitude.com/post/1310985699/openstreetmap-critique and
> read it with interest. Some points are true, others need better
> explaination and I think you misinterpreted some things.

Looking at the blog entry, I must say that I like this kind of
"feedback". The blog entry is well written (you understand what he wants
to say) and most of the points he mentioned made sense to me - from the
point of view he mentioned.

I don't want to argue if all of the points make sense from an OSM point
of view - or if the points he mentioned should be actually "improved" -
as that's not the right question here.

Let's take it what it is: An "OSM outsider" tells us what he thinks
about what he has seen from OSM. Gives us the opportunity to rethink
some stuff that we get used to over the years. I get used to the mapnik
rendering of state borders - but is it really that good? E.g.: Sounds
like a good idea to draw borders with a dashed line to distinguish them
from other stuff ;-)

That's the way to get better ...

Regards, ULFL

P.S: Sorry, I really can't follow the argument of some, that there's no
reason to improve the "OSM main map" as there are already many other OSM
maps around. It's very certainly not our primary goal, but what prevents
us from improving it?