[OSM-talk] Response to A critique of OpenStreetMap

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Oct 15 10:27:06 BST 2010

Hi,

Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
>> I mean, there's nothing wrong with having nice map but this is
>> certainly not at the core of the project, and certainly nothing we
>> should aim to have an "inspiring vision" for. We're providing the
>> underlying data for others to bring their inspiring visions to life.
>
> That is your opinion

And that of a number of other people involved in this project for a long
time.

> For others, the nice map is important.

The cool thing about OSM is: They can go ahead and create the nice map!
There's no need to battle for mindshare in the project, to whine about
lack of strategic vision for nice cartography - even if the project's
own map was the crappiest there is, anyone could *still* make great maps
from our data, and users would flock to their site. And we would not
view them as "competition" - we would even offer their maps as layers on
openstreetmap.org.

Bye
Frederik