[OSM-talk] Response to A critique of OpenStreetMap

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri Oct 15 15:29:51 BST 2010

Peter Körner wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 20:41:30 -0400, Anthony wrote:
>>> Once OSM goes ODbL, I'd expect that Mapquest will stop licensing their
>>> tiles under a free license.
>> They distribute it now for free? Why?
> They are forced to by the CC-BY-SA License.

...is evidently not the reason why they distribute tiles under a open
licence.

http://github.com/MapQuest/MapQuest-Mapnik-Style is MIT-licensed.

That is more permissive than required by CC-BY-SA (of course, CC-BY-SA
doesn't actually require they distribute the stylesheet at all).

MapQuest aren't distributing the tiles and stylesheet under an open licence
because they have to; they're doing so because they want to.

Still, never let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory, etc.

Richard