[OSM-talk] Response to A critique of OpenStreetMap

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Oct 16 03:56:23 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> CC-BY-SA would still allow them to restrict access to the site, e.g. force
> users to log in or use an API key, which to my knowledge they don't.

Well, no, of course not.  If they did that virtually no one would use
them.  And their tiles would still be free to copy.

> CC-BY-SA would still allow them to put up a site policy that says (for
> example) "private use only" or so, which to my knowledge they don't.

I'm not sure what that means.  They couldn't restrict the use of the
tiles to "private use only".  CC-BY-SA forbids that.  "You may not
offer or impose any terms on the Work that alter or restrict the terms
of this License or the recipients' exercise of the rights granted
hereunder. You may not sublicense the Work."

> Also,
> CC-BY-SA does not force them to openly publish their map styles, yet they
> do.

Might as well if they're going to release the tiles under a free license.