[OSM-talk] Ongoing bulk uploads of GPS traces?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 07:40:08 BST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 2:59 PM, Sam Wilson <sam at archives.org.au> wrote:
> We've got, it looks like, the last three months or so of tracks from about
> twenty vehicles, and I can break the data up into whatever chunks I want.
>  I've been working with one track file per seven days, which seems to be
> about a 6-8MB gpx file.  Would this be okay to upload?  Is there any issue
> with it containing only one track (i.e. there are some connections between
> points that are hundreds of kilometers apart).

Best to split it at points like that. Otherwise you end up with these
spurious lines that don't represent roads - just random connections.
So if you can have multiple tracks within the one gps, with each track
being a real contiguous sequence of points, that would be best.

> As for the drivers: they know the vehicles movements are being logged, and
> they know that I'm working on making their maps better; there wouldn't be
> any problem with getting their permission, but I'm not sure it's necessary
> -- there's no way to link any part of the logging to any particular vehicle,
> or driver.  Hmm... there will be a concentration of points near drivers'
> homes... but then again, also near every place they stop as well.  Is this
> something to worry about?

That's a discussion you need to have with them, or with other people
in the company. Remember, once you release the information, it's
pretty hard to get the genie back in the bottle.

Steve