[OSM-talk] Proposal for additional Mapnik power=tower icons

John Goodman jg1 at qlam.com
Sun Oct 17 16:54:20 BST 2010

I'd like to propose a couple additional icons to use in the Mapnik renderer
with power=tower nodes. The current Mapnik icon (a 7x7 square, crossed
diagonally) is currently used for all zoom levels in which it is visible
(14 through 18). This tends to result in power lines looking cluttered and
over-emphasized at the lower zoom levels, especially where there are
multiple, parallel power lines.

I propose using a 5x5 icon at zoom levels 16 and 15, and a 3x3 icon at zoom
level 14. Simulated examples of the proposed look is shown here:

http://www.qlam.com/power_tower_proposal.png

(This image is a little tall and may result in browser scaling -- please
view an unscaled version).

I have yet not added an enhancement ticket -- wanted to see what people
thought.

John