[OSM-talk] Planet database size?

Simon Biber simonbiber at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 19 05:32:17 BST 2010

On Tue, 19 October, 2010 2:45:08 PM, Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wasn't after just straight statistics. I was wanting to do some analysis of
>bot activity and such so I need information on users, changesets and map
>objects.
>
> So by the resounding silence on this list I'm guessing most planet imports are
>done into a postgis database for rendering so importing an apidb may be a rare
>event. It is about to hit 500 GB... The good news is ext4's online resizing
>feature works as advertised!

Hi Toby,

Going by the statistics here, the main OSM postgresql database is now over 1.4
TB. Though, due to continued deletion and insertion, there could be some wasted
space inside. A planet import should be smaller, by how much I don't know.

http://munin.openstreetmap.org/openstreetmap/smaug.openstreetmap/postgres_size_openstreetmap.html

Hope you have enough space to continue resizing!