[OSM-talk] some notes, ostensibly from MapQuest (sorry if this is spam)

Antony Pegg antthelimey at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 03:40:14 BST 2010

Very simply...

the more people that use our Open stuff (tiles, services, sites, etc) the
more we demonstrate value / presence / brand recognition to our larger
organization.  The more we demonstrate value, the more we'll be allowed to
do that benefits the community, like sponsoring Wherecamp 5280 or being a
part of pushing P2 further down the pike, or providing an alternate tile set
for anyone to use.

Or, to put it another, even simpler way, Anthony - I hope that in some small
way, when you have a choice of commercial map/directions vendors to use for
some / any reason (if you ever do, not to offend your refined cartographic
abilities / sensibilities), you would choose MapQuest over another site,
because we have, in some noticeable way, demonstrated that we understand,
value, and are actively working on Free Speech vs Free Beer.

Hope that makes sense / helps

Ant