[OSM-talk] JOSM shp file plugin

Nakor nakor.osm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 15:49:15 BST 2010

  On 10/20/2010 10:16 AM, Gregory Arenius wrote:
> There isn't a day gone past where the vast gaps in the OSM dataset,
> the missing address nodes, missing turn restrictions, missing building
> outlines, missing subdivisions, missing everything and whatnot don't
> hugely degrade the usefulness of the project.  How is the set of
> problems you mentioned any worse than the missing data, much of which
> we could get through imports?

Gregory,

I use OSM data mainly to get maps for my Garmin device. Lately I was in
an area where someone imported a set of data on top of existing data w/o
taking the time to remove duplicates. Although the imported data was of
better quality than the existing one, this import of better quality data
worsened the overall quality in that area. Having two overlapping and
unconnected set of roads just drove the GPS crazy: road calculation
failed most of the time and when it succeeded it would take long detours.

Bottom line is imports can be useful BUT they have to be done correctly.

   Thanks,

N.