[OSM-talk] How can we make this list better?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 21 07:09:07 BST 2010

Hi,

john whelan wrote:
> Perhaps recognise that OSM is changing and developing in ways it's
> creators never intended?
>
> I'm currently looking at a project that uses data that is not cc-by-ca
> by any means however it can be imported into an OSM file format and use
> the OSM tool set to basically create a stand alone DVD that is a
> searchable map visible on a lap top.  It isn't OSM but does use the tool
> set.

That's great but if someone uses OSM software for something that is not
OSM, that can hardly be counted as a sign that "OSM is changing", right?

> Applications such as routers need the roads, footpaths etc. joined
> together, this a different standard of quality than was expected in the
> beginning.

That's widely acknowledged, especially in places with high population
density (and therefore many people who want a working router).

> I think we need to concede that parts of the world with
> lower population densities need different approaches than just a cyclist
> making multiple GPS passes and noting the street names down can provide.

Nothing of what you said before leads to this conclusion, and nothing of
what you said has to do with Matt's message to which you replied.

Bye
Frederik