[OSM-talk] How can we make this list better?

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 10:25:44 BST 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 2:02 AM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps recognise that OSM is changing and developing in ways it's creators
> never intended?

i think this and previous threads on this list show that this is being
recognised. we're now looking at the next step, which is the question
in the title: how can we make it better?

> I'm currently looking at a project that uses data that is not cc-by-ca by
> any means however it can be imported into an OSM file format and use the OSM
> tool set to basically create a stand alone DVD that is a searchable map
> visible on a lap top.  It isn't OSM but does use the tool set.

that's great. it's always nice when people are able to re-use the OSM
software. it reminds us we're not just a data project ;-)

> Applications such as routers need the roads, footpaths etc. joined together,
> this a different standard of quality than was expected in the beginning.  I
> think we need to concede that parts of the world with lower population
> densities need different approaches than just a cyclist making multiple GPS
> passes and noting the street names down can provide.

no, topological connectivity was fully anticipated. this is why OSM
has a topological node/way model rather than the linestring-based
model that's more common in GIS systems.

i'm sure that different approaches are necessary in different parts of
the world where there are different constraints. and i'm sure that
germany didn't get so well mapped by cyclists alone. some places will
be easier mapped by car or on foot ;-)

cheers,

matt