[OSM-talk] tile downloader

MP singularita at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 14:32:32 BST 2010

> Maybe we could work around this by automatically changing the link for
> the stored tiles? This would also harm "friendly" projects with small
> tile-download-rates though. If it is technically possible to identify
> this application they could also be filtered out.

But what prevents the "evil" applications to set same user agent as good ones?
Not a good idea.
This would break many things, for example the slippy map preview in
JOSM, without managing to do what is intended (stop bulk downloaders -
as if one downloader does not work, user will just pick another that
will - or wait for update to existing one)

Martin