[OSM-talk] SotM11 will be held in Denver.

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Fri Oct 22 22:02:27 BST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Julio Costa Zambelli
<julio.costa at openstreetmap.cl> wrote:
> Henk,
>
> I do not want to argue since this just a personal opinion from someone
> that has gone just to one SOTM and only thanks to the OSI Scholarship,
> but:

OSI is great.  I'm glad that folks from so many places have been able
to attend.

> [ ... ] but we are talking about the _global_ State Of
> The Map

It should move around then?  As I understand it the Drupal project
alternates between events in Europe and North America.  I don't know
how the percentage of contributors is divided in the Drupal community.

But the fact is that any and every location will have detractors.
There will always be a set of those who can't or won't make the trip.
I've heard conference attendees complain about a 45 minute trip across
town to attend, while they were sitting at a table with people who
flew-in across the country.  Perspective plays a part here.  ;-)

> Can we expect the Department of Homeland Security to be any less
> "obstructive" with the scholarship beneficiaries than the agencies in
> Europe? I do not want to make an stereotype of the officers of this
> agency, since they have treated me so well every time I have gone to
> the states, but to be honest if the Spaniards denied 7 visas, I will
> bet money that this guys will deny the same or more.

It was my impression that some potential attendees were denied travel
by their own country, rather than entry visas to Spain.  If so, the
destination country may not matter in those cases.

Julio, I hope that you will be able to attend in Denver.  I hope that
I will be able to attend as well. :-)  I think it is a beautiful part
of the world.