[OSM-talk] Amenity key

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sat Oct 23 22:10:05 BST 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 13:09 +0200, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2010/10/22 David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au>:
> > If you were visiting someone in an out-of-state prison, it certainly
> > would be somewhere one might want to navigate to, the same way you might
> > want to navigate to an ATM, fuel station or school.
>
> everything can be something you might want to navigate to, so this is
> a bad definition IMHO. You might also want to navigate to a lake, a
> park, a train station, a hairdresser, a museum, a weir, a power
> station, an apple tree,

A lake is a land use, youre more likely to be looking for a picnic area
or parking area at the lake, which is an amenity.

A park, is fairly vague, but is generally covered by leisure.  A
hairdresser and museum, are currently amenity.

Sure, one or two users of OSM might want to navigate to an apple tree or
a power station, but think of what a large portion of users will be
navigating to.  You then come up with most items that can be classed as
amenity.  As I said in my original email, the comment about somewhere to
navigate to is a bit vague, and if you dont like it, youre welcome to
make your own suggestion, I was just trying to suggest what the current
usage of the tag is.

David