[OSM-talk] China unveils its own mapping service

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Sat Oct 23 22:14:40 BST 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-23 at 17:22 +0000, john at jfeldredge.com wrote:
> I think that it is probably safe to predict that the general public
>  won't be able to update this map, at least not without government
>  censors checking the proposed updates.

Since the website is about giving out maps and data (satellite images,
etc), I dont think theres really any issue with the public wanting to
make updates.  I doubt the general public can give updated satellite
data.

On the point you were trying to make though, it is great to see the
government censors allowing this sort of information freely to their
citizens and the world.  With the history of hi-res imagery cases
dragging through the courts in the US and the UK, youd think the chinese
government would be restricting access to hi-res satellite images, not
publishing them publically.

David