[OSM-talk] Amenity key

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Mon Oct 25 12:04:27 BST 2010

Am 25.10.2010 12:22, schrieb Dave F.:
> On 25/10/2010 10:23, Markus Lindholm wrote:
>> On 25 October 2010 11:17, M∡rtin
>> Koppenhoefer<dieterdreist at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> what about tourism=information with it's several subtags? Seems to fit
>>> perfectly IMHO as a primary tag.
>> What constitutes a primary tag?
>
> One that is used in to solely describe an entity without any
> additional sub-tags.
>
> Tourism is an activity.
> A museum needs a tag to describe it's physicality such as building=*,
> & maybe building:use=*
I'm not sure wether that's a better approach you describe here.
Of course it's a building - but also it's a museum. There are lot's of
museums without being a building.
Yes - you can use museum as a subtag everywhere, but to USE it you then
have to deal with a search for a value rather than to search for a tag.
IMHO that's a bad idea.

Let's take the following entities:
A museum showing old buildings arranged to villages from the far past
(there are a lot of in Germany, but also in other countries). As that's
not a building (it includes buildings, but not the ensemble of buildings
form the museum, the whole area does), building:use=museum is wrong.
area:use=museum - could be, so your idea was to use:
area:use=museum
tourism=yes

If I want to have all tourism parts, I now could search for tourism=yes
and parse all other tags for values perhaps useful to describe, why that
entity could be relevant for tourists.
Currently it's tagged as tourism=museum, and I'm fine with that, it
allows me to fetch the kind of interest it has for tourism directly by
that tag.

Of course tourists are not the only group interested in museums. There
is science as well as "normal" people living around.
But even these groups would search for museums partly as tourism POIs often.
If there are other "indended uses", we can use additional tags, too: Tag
a museum as entity of tourism, science, recreational place, leisure,
garden, shop, artwork, historic place, ruins etc. - all of these could
be correct for some museums around the world. We have these tags, so we
can use them without using some tags as "primary".
What tag is a "primary" one depends heavily on the context I want to
build a map for.

> Museums (& art galleries) are used by many people other than tourists.
>
> To indicate that it might be of interest to tourists a sub key such as
> tourism=yes could be used.
But what is it for tourists? A museum for tourists could be a science
institute for scientists, a playground for children and a shop for the
chinese subgroup of tourists.
We could it tag as shop, playground and museum - if we skip the hunt for
the one and only set of primary tags.
>> How should one know which tags are
>> considered primary when parsing the OSM database?
> That's up to the parser. However putting tourism=art_gallery for
> example gives no indication of what type it is:
> Is it indoors or outdoors?
> Is it in a building, marquee, greenhouse? etc.
+1

regards
Peter