[OSM-talk] Housenumber additions

F. Heinen f.heinen.nl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 21:36:12 BST 2010

Hi all,

When I was walking through the streets of the very nice town of
Aalten<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.9230926036835&lon=6.58008098602295&zoom=14>(Netherlands)
with my kids mapping I found
an inconsistency where I could not find an answer to.
The housenumber additions (suffixes) of Dutch houses are not consistent.

Examples (where the suffixes must be in superscript):
14 i
14 1

5 a
5 A

76 II
76 2

As you can see both are the same in essence but officially one is correct
and one isn't. You even see that people could not find the right suffix in
the hardware
shop and bought a i instead of a 1 (or vice versa) as superscript suffix.

My point is how to map this correctly. For the moment I put the house number
addition / suffix in the house number field but I am not sure how
navigation systems and other data search engines index/search this data
correctly and if uppercase vs lower case or 1 vs i makes a difference for
them. I guess so.
Is there any standard or coherency in this issue as I could not find an
answer in the OSM wiki.

Regards,

Frenzel