[OSM-talk] Amenity key

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 10:33:46 BST 2010

2010/10/26 Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com>:
> On 25/10/2010 12:04, Peter Wendorff wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure wether that's a better approach you describe here.
>> Of course it's a building - but also it's a museum.
>
> So building=museum works.

well, almost everything "works" if there is consistency and agreement
about the usage and meaning. From this point of view, building=museum
doesn't work at all: almost all museums are currently tagged as
tourism=museum (20009 tags vs. 116 building=museum where it isn't even
clear what they mean, I'd say they express a building of museum
typology) , all presets and renderers, routers, mkgmaps etc. are
evaluating tourism=museum, to put it short: it is very well
established.

If you want to improve tagging of museums you could better spend your
time in inventing a tagging scheme to describe which kind and type of
museum it is.

I wouldn't rely on building=museum, because I would use this
combination for every building that was built as a museum, even if it
is no museum any more (because it remains a museum building IMHO).

I suggest to use (if any changes should be made at all) a new main tag
"culture" which is IMHO missing (and that's why a lot of stuff like
artwork is put in "tourism").

Cheers,
Martin