[OSM-talk] highway=ford vs ford=yes

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:44:48 BST 2010

2010/10/27 Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net>:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 21:02:56 +0200
> "Gorm E. Johnsen" <osmlist at gorm.cc> wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions on what to do with the 4800 nodes also tagged with
>> highway=ford?
>> Change them to ford=yes all in one go as well?
>
> The nodes I have put in as highway=ford you can leave unless you wish
> to attend the sites and mark the start and end of the ford and split
> the way.
> I'd regard nodes as points marked highway=ford as points which would
> benefit from further survey.

I've recently tagged a node with highway=ford (with width and depth)
in a situation where a path crossed a stream without a bridge. As
neither the path nor the stream were mapped (or will be mapped) as
areas, I'd consider a node the most appropriate approach.

http://www.23hq.com/dieterdreist/photo/6137652
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/955908102

the only thing I don't consider appropriate is the car in the icon ;-)

cheers,
Martin