[OSM-talk] OSM book

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 28 21:36:27 BST 2010

Martin,

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> is there some content in the English translation that the German
> version doesn't have?

The first English edition is based largely on the 3rd German edition.
But since it was proof-read by people who were not involved in the
German book, it does do some things a little differently. The most
visible differences are:

* English version has an appendix with country-specific OSM information
about many countries. This appendix is under CC-BY-SA and available as
PDF (http://www.openstreetmap.info/content/mapping_the_world.pdf) and
OpenOffice document
(http://svn.openstreetmap.org/misc/documents/osmbook/mapping_the_world.odt).
People are welcome to edit it and we might include updated versions in
later editions.

* English version has 2 or 3 additional screen shots in the editor
chapters, and discusses Potlatch before JOSM rather than after.

* English version has a more detailed and illustrated Mapnik style
example (example source downloadable here:
http://www.openstreetmap.info/examples/mapnik-example.xml)

But apart from that the changes are negligible. We changed examples and
illustrations to better fit the international audience, added in a few
tags - that's all I remember.

Bye
Frederik