[OSM-talk] highway=ford vs ford=yes

Gorm E. Johnsen osmlist at gorm.cc
Sun Oct 31 22:22:50 GMT 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> On 31/10/2010 17:08, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>
>> 2010/10/31 Gorm E. Johnsen<osmlist at gorm.cc>:
>>
>>> John
>>>
>>> I propose to replace highway=ford with ford=yes (or perhaps
>>> barrier=ford?)
>>> on nodes as well, simply to de-clutter the highway tag and to be more
>>> consistent.
>>>

>> What about junction=ford ?
>>

> No.
>
> Because it's not a junction, except if you have an amphibious craft of
> course.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks.

> ------
>
> I'm not sure how the highway tag is cluttered & see no real reason to
> change to ford=yes, but don't see a problem with it either.

For consistency.

One thing should be one tag. Not like its today with highway=incline on
nodes and incline=* on ways, highway=ford on nodes and ford=yes on ways,
highway=mini_roundabout on nodes and junction=roundabout on ways. Tagging
all these on just a single node is not good, but even worse when its a
different tag for way and node.

There is many things the higway tags is (mis)used for: amenities, traffic
signs, properties etc. In general highway should probably exclusively be
used on ways, not nodes.

So, yes, I think the highway tag is cluttered. So I have started "cleaning
up" the long tail, starting with some of the least used.

> Does this 'clutter' problem mean you'll want to amend
> traffic_lights/mini_roundabout nodes as well?

I would personally prefer to change mini_roundabout to junction=roundabout,
yes. There is a vague difference anyway. That difference can perfectly well
be conveyed by the fact that it is tagged on a single node or not.. I had
not considered traffic_signals, but yes it does fit into junction=. But
please let us not start that discussion now. But don't worry, I won't go
ahead and change 29k and 251k elements, respectively, just like that.

best regards