[OSM-talk] Can OSM sources be public domain CC-0(zero)?

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at latuviitta.fi
Wed Sep 1 11:58:59 BST 2010

Niklas Cholmkvist <towardsoss <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> When I map, sometimes I add sources to my contributions. It could be a
> bus route relation where I may add the GPS trace I took while riding the
> bus as the source for the route. Other times if I name a street I may
> use a geotagged/geolocated photo of the street sign as a source.(thus
> proving that the name is the same as the one shown on the street sign)
> In some cases where I want to fine-adjust the location of a geotagged
> photo using for example the rendered OSM Mapnik images, will part of my
> photo(or the photo in whole) become CC-BY-SA-2.0? (this question arised
> after I considered making all my geotagged -in EXIF- photos public
> domain CC-0-1.0-Universal)

Hi,

If you do not want to start a new war, take the coordinates from Google
Earth/Maps.  Judged by the blog
http://www.edparsons.com/2008/10/who-map-is-it-anyway/
Google will not rise a hullabaloo against you.  But if you want to have fun
check the coordinates from both OSM and Google (and Yahoo and Bing as well)
and use the average.

-Jukka Rahkonen-