[OSM-talk] Waze using OSM Data

ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen g.gremmen at cetest.nl
Wed Sep 1 12:06:22 BST 2010

Claudius,

>You seem to be misunderstanding something here. No data has been deleted.

>Waze is looking forward to use OSM data after the license change,

>because the current one doesn't allow them to use the OSM data (even

>including attribution) the way they do.

[<GG>] Citation:  http://www.waze.com/blog/thanks-and-huge-apology-to-the-openstreetmap-community/

"While we sort this out, we have pulled all of the Chile data from Waze.  The data has been deleted from the database and should be gone from the Cartouche (our web editing interface) already.  It will take 24-48 hours for the deletion to propagate through the system and down to the clients (sorry Chilean Wazers)."

To be on the safe side, we are pulling all the data from this source, in other countries as well: Peru, Uruguay and parts of Argentina, and it should be removed shortly.

This is a direct consequence of OSM not being PD !

>From our Homepage:

The project (OSM) was started because most maps you think of as free actually have legal or technical restrictions on their use, holding back people from using them in creative, productive, or unexpected ways.

This is typically a situation where be bite our own tail. A new innovative, creative and unexpected

application is forced to withdraw much more data because our license forced them too.

because we put  "legal restrictions on their use"

Do you really expect that a new License (regardless it's type) will create no more clashes like this ?

Shouldn't we remove this pretentious headline from our homepage as long as we do restrict other users ?

OSM: go to shame ourselves.

Gert

Am 01.09.2010 11:13, ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen:

talk at openstreetmap.org