[OSM-talk] Geographic objects

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 19:01:04 BST 2010

2010/9/3 Christian H. Bruhn <brogo at arcor.de>:
> Hi!
>
> If we look at the OSM-map (you can take each), there will be missing
> the name of most of all geographic objects. You will not find the
> Atlantic Ocean, the Alpes or anything else.

I second this. I liked the idea expressed by Martin Simon on Talk-DE,
who proposed for valleys, mountain ranges and other vaguely defined
areas to map them as relations but not with a determined contour but
simply by adding some casual nodes (of already existing geometry) at
the supposed border (and inside the area). Then you (renderer,
namefinder, ...) could create a hull around those to render e.g. an
area text with the name. This would not require to close the polygons
(i.e. for oceans and seas it is logical to add coastlines, but you
might in many cases not need to create artificial way-boundaries in
the middle of the sea).

cheers,
Martin