[OSM-talk] Earthquake in Christchurch NZ last weekend

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Sep 9 08:53:01 BST 2010

In case anyone missed reading about it, there was a 7.1 magnitude earthquake
in Christchurch, New Zealand at the weekend.  Miraculously no-one was killed,
despite widespread damage.  This was due mainly to the fact that it happened
in the early morning, so people were asleep in their homes.  If they had been
walking or driving through the city when it happened I am sure there would
have been many injuries and deaths (and more news coverage).

Anyway, a helpful individual has made this:

http://www.mapquake.co.nz/

And someone from ESRI (I think) in NZ has made this:

http://s1.demos.eaglegis.co.nz/Flex/earthquake-christchurch

I cannot find anything based on OSM, although I am not suggesting that someone
should do this, since it seems that is already covered.  It's interesting,
however, to see the UIs that are being used, and also how willing the general
public is to contribute useful information to such a site.

My questions are, is someone or some group using OSM as the data source for
similar public information services?  Are there tools for people to make such
webpages easily using OSM?  Is OSM ready for this?

I apologise if this topic has been discussed in depth elsewhere.

Best wishes,

Andrew