[OSM-talk] Exceeded API bandwidth limit, now what?

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 20:43:12 BST 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Michal Migurski <mike at stamen.com> wrote:
> Is there any interest here in publishing the OSM API via tile-like URLs? For example, being able to make a request like this to pull a chunk of bounded XML cached out of the OSM API:
>        http://tile.openstreetmap.org/14/2627/6331.xml  <---- note "xml" on the end

Slicing the planet into thousands of rectangular extracts and updating
it daily is quite feasible using a combination of osmosis and
bboxSplit. One major advantage of this approach is that it can use
"idle" computing time. And you only need 3GB RAM. (I'm doing something
similar for the routing demo.)

In fact, I would offer to do this for you on dev.osm.org. But I'm
afraid that by the time you start using it heavily, other projects on
dev will be affected by the increased load.