[OSM-talk] Exceeded API bandwidth limit, now what?

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Wed Sep 15 16:45:21 BST 2010

On Sep 14, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Michal Migurski wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2010, at 12:06 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Michal Migurski wrote:
>>> I'm downloading London, in small sections. I just exceeded my API bandwidth limit.
>>
>> Get
>>
>> http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/great_britain/england.osm.bz2
>>
>> then do
>>
>> bzcat england.osm.bz2 | time osmosis --rx - --bb left=-.6 bottom=51.3 right=.4 top=51.7 --wx london.osm
>>
>> (or whatever "London" is for you).
>
> Thanks guys. I understand about the extracts, I've used them extensively for years.
>
> I'm experimenting with a way to get at smaller areas of OSM data (generally city-sized) for a possible update to http://tiledrawer.com, and I'm hoping to understand how to both work within the API limitations and be able to piecemeal together a town-sized area without requiring end-users to deal with bzip files or osm2pgsql on their own.
>
> The code I'm developing is here:
> 	http://github.com/migurski/TileStache/blob/osm-mirror/TileStache/Goodies/Providers/MirrorOSM.py
>
> It's a provider class for Tilestache that mirrors OSM on a tile-by-tile basis.
>
> Is there any interest here in publishing the OSM API via tile-like URLs? For example, being able to make a request like this to pull a chunk of bounded XML cached out of the OSM API:
> 	http://tile.openstreetmap.org/14/2627/6331.xml  <---- note "xml" on the end
>
> The advantages with this should be plainly obvious: a source of data that's trivially cacheable, on the order of hours-to-days old, and available for specific areas of the world, without the massive download and parse overhead of OSM extracts.

Can't you do the hours-to-days old with diffs or your own api server based on diffs? The key is that it's out of band of the main API. Granted you appear to be breaking new ground here - perhaps what you *really* want to work on is something like tiledrawer - where tiledraw wakes up on an ec2 image, grabs data and begins rendering tiles (from my limited knowledge) - you want APIdrawer which wakes up and starts serving an up to date read-only API automatically? For use with tilestache clients on the net, or whatever.

Steve

stevecoast.com