[OSM-talk] Exceeded API bandwidth limit, now what?

MP singularita at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 23:32:38 BST 2010

This bandwidth limit cutoff happened to me twice - once today and once
about two weeks back when fixing duplicate data from imports.

The workflow for fixes are generally to download relatively small
piece of affected area (I use either script on planet extracts to
discover which areas contain these duplicates or look at Matt's
duplicate nodes map) and download the data - since you download data
from duplicated imports, you download everything usually two or four
times. You delete extra copies, do some small fixes to tags or some
minor cleanup, upload (usually several thousands of deleted duplicate
nodes per request) and then move to next part of the area.

Generally, I request one small, but quite stuffed (often close to
50000 nodes limit) area every 5-10 minutes or so (download (few secs),
fix (about 2 minutes), upload (few secs or few mins of waiting for
server), repeat). After few hours I got this ... bandwidth limit
exceeded.

I don't know what the limits are, but ocassionaly they hit even people
who want to edit the data in large scale (me :), not just some
leechers that want to get the city by scrapping server with repetitive
requests.

So maybe it could be slightly raised ... at least for people who
upload fixed data back ...

Note for Michal Migurski: for downloading relatively fresh areas
outside of europe (for areas inside euroope it is usually simpler to
cut it out from geofabrik dumps) with limits approximately size of a
slightly largish city I use the service at
http://78.46.81.38/api/interpreter - the data are about one day old,
plus if you want, you can limit what data you need (by tags, etc ...)

Martin.