[OSM-talk] A warning about gates and other barriers

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 15:28:54 BST 2010

2010/9/19 SomeoneElse <lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk>:
>  On 19/09/2010 14:37, Nic Roets wrote:
>>
>> This is because a gate with no access tags
>> implies that nothing can go through.
>
> It wouldn't to me - no access tags on the gate would imply to me that
> nothing had been recorded

I agree with Andy here: no tags = no information. Which default is
then implemented in a routing application depends on this application.

To your question about a special tool: how would you know
automatically which access restrictions apply?

The example you pasted seems like bad mapping to me: a gate can't
actually be directly on a bifurcation node. I would strongly recommend
to tag it at it's real position, and if it's two gates (what would be
a possible interpretation of your quoted example) then tag 2 separate
gates.

cheers,
Martin