[OSM-talk] A warning about gates and other barriers

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Mon Sep 20 11:33:58 BST 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:21:21 +0100
"Dave F." <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

>   On 20/09/2010 09:07, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> > I prefer asuming that a gate is closed (I tag them with
> > access=private in these cases anyway)
>
> This is a bad assumption to have. Just because a gate is closed, it
> doesn't mean your not allowed access.

So if you visit lots of places in ¨outback¨ Australia, you get to open
and close the gates as you go.
The gate should be closed, and you are free to pass, but have to open
the gate, pass the boundary and close the gate again.

The point is that tags should only accommodate one piece of information.
A gate is a gate, access is something else. Defaults cause confusion
and arguments - we should have a system in which information is
specified and not assumed.

It´s cold here and I´m going to sit back and wait for the flames to
warm me up.