[OSM-talk] A warning about gates and other barriers

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Sep 20 12:48:15 BST 2010

Hi,

Claudius wrote:
>> The point is that tags should only accommodate one piece of information.
>> A gate is a gate, access is something else.
>
> Completely true. If a way has restricted access (and that may be
> physically enforced by the used of a closed gate) I tag the access
> restriction on the way behind the gate and not the gate. I don't see any
> added benefit by adding the access to a way behind a gate to the gate
> (!) itself.

We both agree on the "a gate is a gate", but a gate does not necessarily
mean that a way has restricted access.

Firstly, what is "behind" the gate differs depending on your location.
Secondly, the way "behind" the gate may well be reachable by other means
(i.e. a detour) - it is easy to imagine a gate where vehicles cannot
pass, but still vehicles are allowed on both sides of the gate!

Bye
Frederik